This are about as healthy as it can get for a cracker; very satisfying, tasty, and a great substitute for commercial, store bought crackers. The best part is that they have absolutely no flour!, eggs, grains, or nuts, in case you are sensitive to any of those foods. They are naturally gluten-free.
This crackers are high in healthy fiber from flax seeds, celery, and sunflower seeds. They have lots of healthy fats from avocado oil, sunflower seeds, and flax. They are also baked at a low temperature to preserve the delicate fats in the flax, and sunflower seeds.
If you are anything like me, you like to keep it simple, and easy in the kitchen, so you can get on with other multiple activities. This recipe fits in every busy lifestyle, it takes no time to prepare. The baking time is a bit long, but as long as you are home you can be doing other things while waiting for these to bake.
You can also double the recipe, and store half of it in the freezer for later use.
My inspiration for this recipe was the E- book “Fat fueled”. Through this book i discovered the concept of ketosis, fueling your body with fat, so it can burn fat for energy. Eating that way can help balance hormones, thyroid, help you burn stubborn fat, and much more. It has amazing guides to help you along the way, and the book comes with lots of recipes, and options to make this way of eating work for you. It certainly helped me in my healing journey, and i put it in practice with my clients. Click the link below if you would like to learn more.
- 1/2 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/2 cup of flax meal ( if you cant find it, just use finely ground flax seeds)
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds (raw or lightly roasted) * see notes
- About 5 medium Celery Sticks, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons of coconut oil (melted) or avocado oil, or camelina oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon of Thyme leaves or Oregano
- 1 teaspoon of Rosemary leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt (i use grey sea salt)
- - Preheat oven to 225 F
- - Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicon mat, and set aside
- - In your food processor or blender place the sunflower seeds, and pulse to a course grid, place in a bowl and set aside
- - Add the rest of the ingredients to the food processor except flax seeds, and flax meal, and pulse until completely pureed.
- - Add the ground sunflower seeds, and flax to the food processor. and continue to pulse until combined.
- -Scoop out the dough, and place on the prepared baking sheet
- -Smooth out the dough with a spatula or back of a spoon, until it covers the entire baking sheet.
- -Run a knife along the sheet, scoring squares in the dough.
- -Place in the oven for about 2 hours, and maybe a bit, flipping half way through.
- -Remove from the over and let cool for at least 15 minutes, they will harden as they cool.
- Makes about 24⅙" or so thick crackers
The sunflowers in this recipe were soaked in water with a bit of apple cider vinegar for 12 hours, and then dehydrated in the oven at 170 F for a few hours until slightly roasted.